Ye Olde Runicode Bookmarklet
ᚣᛖ ᛫ ᚩᛚᛞᛖ ᛫ ᚱᚢᚾᛁᚳᚩᛞᛖ ᛫ ᛒᛳᛱᛗᚫᚱᛱᛚᛖᛏ
This tool will allow you to convert any page into Runic.
This is done in celebration of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit, and uses the system shown in that book, not any of the "real" runic systems or any of Tolkien's more complex systems*.
- The same rune is used for "I" and "J" and for "U" and "V". You can figure out which one from context.
- There is no rune for 'Q'. Instead, we use runes for 'C' and 'W' per Tolkien's instructions.
- There's no rune for 'Z', so we use a dwarf-rune.
- The font we are using is a specially-modified version of Junicode to include three runes that Tolkien invented, which were added in Unicode v7.0:
Code point Rune Name 16F1 ᛱ RUNIC LETTER K 16F2 ᛲ RUNIC LETTER SH 16F3 ᛳ RUNIC LETTER OO
How To Use It
First, Let's perform ye olde browser support check:
ᚣᛖ ᛫ ᚩᛚᛞᛖ ᛫ ᚱᚢᚾᛁᚳ ᛫ ᚠᚩᚾᛏ ᛫ ᚳᚻᛖᚳᛱ
If the font check box looks the same (or similar) as the image, you're good to go! Proceed on to installing the bookmarklet.
If not, it means the font isn't showing properly. we suggest trying a different browser.
Installing the Bookmarklet
Below this text, you'll see a link labelled "Convert Page To Runes". This is the bookmarklet. If you click it, this page will be converted to runes. To revert back to english, reload the page.
If you are using Firefox: Simply right-click on the link and choose "Bookmark this link".
If you are using Chrome: Press CTRL-SHIFT-B to show your bookmarks toolbar, then drag the link into the toolbar.
If you are on Mobile: Sorry, but it doesn't seem like bookmarklets work on most mobile browsers :( (Please let me know if it's possible)
If the above doesn't work for you: You should be able to add the bookmarklet manually. To do that, right-click on the link and choose "copy link location", then open up your bookmark manager and add a new bookmark. Paste the code into the new bookmark, label it "Convert Page To Runes", and you should be good to go. You can also see This page for more detailed instrutions (scroll down to the "How to Install a Bookmarklet" section).
Please send me instructions if you get it working on a browser not listed here!
The Bookmarklet:Convert Page To Runes
Or, in Runes:
ᚩᚱ, ᛫ ᛁᚾ ᛫ ᚱᚢᚾᛖᛋ:ᚳᚩᚾᚢᛖᚱᛏ ᛫ ᛈᚫᚷᛖ ᛫ ᛏᚩ ᛫ ᚱᚢᚾᛖᛋ
- Add support for Latin-1 Supplement characters, splitting characters like 'æ' into 'ᚫᛖ' and using combining characters for accented runes, which are fun but look mostly weird ;)
- Prevent script from trying to runify things like script and style tags (fixes google and youtube)
- Modify a few attributes such as value to make things like buttons and text boxes work.
- Initial Release.
To report a problem such as a web page that isn't working properly, or if you've managed to get it working in a browser not listed, please go to The issue tracker and raise a new issue. Remember to include the URL of the page that isn't working.